Hit Dice: d6
Skills: The magister’s class skills are Alchemy, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Innuendo, Intimidate, Knowledge, Search, Speak Language, Spellcraft.
Skill Points: 2+Intelligence bonus
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Magisters are skilled with no weapons except staves; at 5th level, magisters acquire proficiency in sword staves as well. Magisters are not proficient with any type of armor, nor with shields.
Spells: A magister’s primary focus is casting spells. These characters have access to simple and complex spells. A magister is limited to a certain number of spells of each spell level per day, according to his class level. A magister may choose to ready any simple or complex spell, provided he can cast spells of that level. He readies spells ahead of time, any of which he can cast according to the maximum number of spell slots available to him for each given level. To ready or cast a spell, a magister must have a Intelligence score of at least 10 + the spell’s level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a magister’s spell is 10 + the spell’s level + the magister’s Intelligence modifier. Bonus spells for magisters rely on Intelligence. Magister spells always have both somatic and verbal components. Thus, magisters face spell failure chances when wearing armor.
A magister needs his staff (see below) as a focus to cast spells. Without it, treat his caster level as one level lower and double casting times for all spells (standard-action spells become full-round spells, full-round spells take 2 rounds to cast, and so on).
The Magister’s Staff: The magister crafts a staff specifically attuned to him. Regardless of its construction or composition, it has a hardness of 12, 50 hit points, and a break DC of 30. The staff ’s hit points increase at a rate of 2 per magister level, and the hardness and break Difficulty Class increase at a rate of 1 point per three magister levels. If a magister’s staff breaks, he is stunned for 1d4 rounds. It takes a month and 1,000 gp in materials to create a new one. A magister can have only one staff attuned to him at a time. If the character finds a new staff he would rather become attuned to, switching staves requires no money. However, it does take a week of meditation.
Should the magister die or take on a new staff, the old staff becomes normal (unless it had been given other magical properties, in which case they remain). A slain magister who comes back from the dead can immediately and automatically re-attune to his old staff as a free action.
Bonus Feats: Every five levels, a magister gains a bonus feat. These are in addition to the feats a character gets every third level. Draw these bonus feats from the following list: Aid Spellcasting, Attune to Magic Item, Battle Mage, Blessed Mage, Blood as Power, Brandish Magical Might, Conjure Mastery, Corrupt Mage, Craft Charged Item, Craft Constant Item, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Single-Use Item, Craft Spell- Completion Item, Creator Mage, Dragon Mage, Eldritch Training, Elemental Mage, Energy Mage B, Exotic Spell B, Fey Mage, Giantish Mage, Hunter Mage, Infuse Weapon, Iron Will, Litorian Mage, Modify Spell, Peaceful Mage, Psion, Quicken Spell, Resistant Spell, Runecaster, Sanctum, Sibeccai Mage, Tattooed Spell, Unraveling Mage, and Wild Mage. Some of these feats are ceremonial feats. The character need not go through the ceremony (or pay for it) to get a bonus ceremonial feat; even an Unbound character can choose a ceremonial bonus feat in this way. A magister can select feats marked with an asterisk (B) more than once, but it must be for a different spell descriptor or spell level (depending on the feat) each time. The character must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including ability scores and prerequisite feats (but not truenames).
Familiarity With Magic (Ex): The 6th-level and higher magister gains a +2 competence bonus to all saving throws against spells and spell-like and supernatural abilities (including magic items). Further, he gains a +2 competence bonus to Armor Class against spells requiring attack rolls.
Lesser Aspect of Power (Su): Beginning at 12th level, the magister becomes so steeped in magic that it comes through as an everpresent side effect. The magister can choose one of the following abilities to call upon at will, as a free action (once he makes his selection, he cannot choose another):
- Distinct Voice (Su): If he wishes, anyone within 100 feet can hear the magister, regardless of noise around him, even when whispering.
- Glowing Footsteps (Su): Whenever he wishes, a magister can make his footsteps glow with a magical aura for 1 round.
- Innate Spell (Su): The magister chooses a 0-level spell to cast once per day as a spell-like ability with no components or focus as a free action.
- Skeletal Visage (Su): Whenever the magister casts a spell, for a brief second his skull and bones glow with a ghostly light, showing through his flesh.
- Sparkles (Su): The magister creates a flash of sparkles at any time.
- Special Eyes (Su): The magister can make his eyes glow a chosen color whenever he wishes. Alternatively, his eyes might have tiny symbols (skulls, crosses, etc.) in the pupils all the time. Or they might permanently be an unnatural color.
Lesser Mind Over Matter (Ex): At 14th level and beyond, a magister can use his uncanny intellect, coupled with secrets learned while studying magic, to gain an advantage in situations that usually demand brute force. In situations requiring a Strength check, he can make an Intelligence check instead. For example, when he must force open a stuck door, the magister can make an Intelligence check to best position himself for leverage and recall some secret knowledge about the magic stored within the wood of the door to get it open. This ability never affects attack or damage rolls, except that, when making an opposed grapple check to avoid being grappled, the magister can use his Intelligence modifier rather than his Strength modifier.
Greater Aspect of Power (Su): At 18th level, the magister becomes further steeped in magic that comes through as an ever-present side effect. The magister can choose another ability defined under lesser aspect of power, or one of the following abilities that he can call upon at will, as a free action:
- Discard Staff (Su): The magister no longer needs his staff as a focus to cast spells.
- Disdain Need (Su): The magister no longer needs to eat or drink. He gets all his nourishment from magic.
- Display Power (Su): The magister can cause himself to grow more powerful and impressive at will, gaining a +4 circumstance bonus to Intimidate checks.
- Innate Spell (Su): The magister can choose one 0- or 1st-level spell to cast once per day as a spell-like ability with no components or focus as a free action.
- Magic Touch (Su): The magister can sense if an object touched has a magical aura (but he gains no further information).
- Name of Power (Su): The magister becomes aware when anyone speaks his name (referring specifically to him). He knows when it happens and learns the name of the speaker.
- Touch Not the Earth (Su): The magister’s feet no longer touch the ground. Instead, when he walks he floats 2 inches above any surface. While he cannot use this ability to float higher, and it does not save him from falls, it does allow him to leave no tracks and avoid traps triggered by weight placed upon a floor. This spell does not affect the magister’s weight.
Greater Mind Over Matter (Su): Similar to mind over matter, at 22nd level and above the magister can use his Intelligence bonus rather than Dexterity and Constitution to modify Reflex and Fortitude saving throws. Likewise, all skills modified by Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity are modified by Intelligence instead. This process still does not affect attack or damage rolls, nor does it affect Armor Class.
Master’s Aspect of Power: At 24th level, the magister becomes completely steeped in magic, which displays itself as an everpresent side-effect. The magister can choose another ability defined under either lesser or greater aspect of power, or one of the following abilities to call upon at will, as a free action:
- Defender Staff (Su): If the magister is aware of an incoming ranged or melee attack and his staff is in hand, he can move to block the attack with his staff. This grants him a +3 deflection bonus to Armor Class.
- Fiery Touch (Sp): At will, as a free action, the magister can make his hand or hands glow like a torch with flames that do not hurt him. The magister’s touch inflicts 1d6 points of fire damage.
- Frosty Breath (Sp): The magister’s breath is extraordinarily cold. With a free action he can instantly extinguish nonmagical flames smaller than a campfire within 5 feet. With a standard action, he can breathe on an adjacent foe and inflict 2d6 points of cold damage (Reflex save for half damage, DC 10 + half magister’s level + his Intelligence modifier).
- Innate Spell (Su): The magister can choose one 0-, 1st-, or 2nd-level spell to cast once per day as a spell-like ability with no components or focus as a free action.
- Inorganic Flesh (Ex): The skin of the magister takes on a metallic or stony appearance at all times. He gains a +3 natural armor bonus to Armor Class, and his weight doubles. Speed is not affected, and there is no armor check penalty or spell failure chance involved.
- Magical Blood (Su): The magister’s blood is replaced by pure magical energy. When wounded, he bleeds energy rather than fluid. He is immune to poison and disease as well as effects that prey upon his blood (such as a vampire’s blood drain ability or the wounding ability of certain magic weapons).
- Magical Helper (Su): The magister gains the aid of a nearly invisible minor magical creature called a vortex. The creature takes the form of a Medium air elemental, except that it deals only force damage, not air damage. If it is slain, a new vortex appears at midnight the next day. Most magisters use their vortex helpers to carry equipment, open doors, deliver messages, and so on.
|Class Levels||Base Attack Bonus||Fortitude Save||Reflex Save||Will Save||Special|
|1||+0||+0||+0||+2||The magister’s staff|
|6||+3||+2||+2||+5||Familiarity with magic|
|12||+6/+1||+4||+4||+8||Lesser aspect of power|
|14||+7/+2||+4||+4||+9||Lesser mind over matter|
|18||+9/+4||+6||+6||+11||Greater aspect of power|
|22||+11/+6/+1||+7||+7||+13||Greater mind over matter|
|24||+12/+7/+2||+8||+8||+14||Master’s aspect of power|
|* The number of slots is unlimited, except for purposes of weaving spells, in which case, treat as a maximum of 9.|
|All spells of that level available to the character are readied.|